[Vwoolf] Conrad and Woolf

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Tue Dec 18 10:19:57 EST 2018

I don't have any specific verbal echoes to reference, but passages such
as these from /Lord Jim/ do make me think of Woolf's presentation of Jacob.

"These were things he could not explain to the court – and not even to
me; but I would have been little fitted for the reception of his
confidences had I not been able at times to understand the pauses
between the words."

"'I don’t pretend I understood him. The views he let me have of himself
were like those glimpses through the shifting rents in a thick fog –
bits of vivid and vanishing detail, giving no connected idea of the
general aspect of a country. They fed one's curiosity without satisfying
it; they were no good for purposes of orientation."

"There is much truth - after all - in the common expression 'under a
cloud.' It is impossible to see him clearly – especially as it is
through the eyes of others that we take our last look at him."

"Now he is no more, there are days when the reality of his existence
comes to me with an immense, with an overwhelming force; and yet upon my
honour there are moments, too, when he passes from my eyes like a
disembodied spirit astray amongst the passions of this earth, ready to
surrender himself faithfully to the claim of his own world of shades."

However, the following sentence in /Jacob’s Room/: "But words have been
used too often; touched and turned, and left exposed to the dust of the
street" does remind me of this one from Conrad's "Typhoon": "And Captain
MacWhirr wrote home from the coast of China twelve times every year,
desiring quaintly to be 'remembered to the children,' and subscribing
himself 'your loving husband,' as calmly as if the words so long used by
so many men were, apart from their shape, worn-out things, and of a
faded meaning."

Of course, we may well be talking here of a more general set of ideas
about the mystery of other people that belong to a common modernist
currency rather than just to two writers.

Jeremy H