[Vwoolf] "The 'Increasing' Black Population in Virginia Woolf's Fiction"

Diane Reynolds direynolds1502 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 09:34:53 EDT 2018

Thanks Stuart. I look forward to reading your article but enjoyed what you pointed out. The problem is how ambiguous these statements are in English, as you note. I recently read Kate Briggs’ This Little Art where she struggles with issues of translation, especially her own translations of Barthes last lectures, and difficulties translating Thomas Mann into  English, among other things. Briggs would argue that a translated work, is to some extent, a new creation because of the impossibility of achieving a one-to-one correspondence or mere transcription between languages. It’s great when we can get more than one translation of a work.

The use of the word “black” as a personal descriptor in English is interesting. I think of Henry Crawford in Mansfield Park described as “black,” when (apparently) he is not racially black, simply dark-haired and eyed. Of course, this all points up how arbitrary race is.