[Vwoolf] Query: on how to teach Orlando: what approaches work

Pat Laurence pat.laurence at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 10:09:51 EST 2017

Another way of approaching *Orlando* is through the genre of biography:
After Woolf finished *To the Lighthouse* in 1927,  she noted in her Diary,
“ it sprung upon me how I could revolutionize

biography is a night.” Discussing these "revolutions" would lead students
into contemporary notions of bio-fiction,  truth and "facts," and Woolf's
challenges to traditional notions of biography..

 What are challenges to notions of character  (instability in gender and
character in the transformation from hero to heroine); time (we whirl
through 300 years of literary history), notions of truth and

 fiction?

 Pat Laurence