[Vwoolf] Query: on how to teach Orlando: what approaches work

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Fri Nov 17 07:43:45 EST 2017

VWM 73 Spr/Sum 2008

From: Ellen Moody
Sent: Friday, November 17, 2017 12:19 PM
To: vwoolf at lists.osu.edu
Subject: [Vwoolf] Query: on how to teach Orlando: what approaches work

A hearty grateful thanks to Eileen Barrett, Anne Fernald, Roy Johnson, Lois Gilmore and Helen Southworth.  I now have the courage to do it as I now have a number of ways that seem to be very workable. It's not that I've not taught in colleges for decades -- I first taught in 1972, and was for say 8 years in the CUNY NYC system, and I taught in Virginia at George Mason for 17 years and before that (or during that time for a few years) at American University, but I've not tried with an older group of people this non-realistic book. Many older readers expect realism in their novels, and will be all at sea with long passages that don't conform either to traditional biography/ history r a traditional novel. I wanted ways to get round this. I did think of pictures: I have in my house Vita Sackville-West's book on Knoles with many black-and-white photos, and her child's book A Note of Explanation, which is a beautiful picture book that is said to be part of the inspiration for Orlando.

I wonder if Lois could tell me which miscellany her article is in. I have a bunch going way back (paper copies) and could find it that way.

I've saved all the methods suggested.

I've been a member of the Society for several years now and only three days ago thought of finding this listserv, and joining it. Such a place is a wonderful resource for information.

So another query: come to think of it, the one Woolf novel I've not been able to find a recorded audiobook available to an individual consumer is Between the Acts. There is one available to libraries. On Orlando, alas, there is only an abridged audiobook no unabridged one, and I regarde unabridged ones as worse than wastes of time. There are otherwise some beautifully read recordings of the books unabridged, most still available as CDs or MP3s. I love to listen to the books too.

Ellen Moody -