[Vwoolf] seeking VW pix I thought I saw once

Jean Mills millsj7 at gmail.com
Tue May 30 20:32:30 EDT 2017

Hi Leslie,

The photo caption was 'The Stephens riding up Mount Pentelicus in Greece
1906' ... I tried to track it down back in 2012. It was reproduced in
Hermione Lee's biography and listed as "privately owned" and David Adams
reproduced it in his "Colonial Odysseys" I contacted hime and he replied as
follows:

"Jean, I sent a similar query to the list a decade ago--can't believe it's
been this long! No one on the Woolf listserv, at Hermione Lee's publisher,
or at the Society of Authors was able to identify the owner or location of
the photo, and multiple letters and emails to Lee went unanswered. The
Society of Authors could determine only that "there are any number of
possible owners within and outside the extended family" and then forwarded
my letter to Lee. After all this my editor at Cornell decided to go ahead
and use the photo so it's on page 186 of Colonial Odysseys. Please let me
know if you have more success than I did in learning its location!"

I did not... and ended up choosing another photo for my book instead, as
deadlines loomed large and the trail ran cold.

I'd be interested in hearing if you have any better luck than I did.

Best,
Jean

On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 7:34 PM, Leslie Hankins <lhankins at cornellcollege.edu
> wrote:

> Hi all, I swear I remember once having seen a snapshot of Virginia Stephen
> on a donkey climbing Mount Pentilicus (sp?) in Greece, I assume from her
> trip to Greece with her siblings in 1906.  And I imagine they sent
> postcards during that trip as well.  Does anyone know where anything like
> those snapshots or postcards might be housed?
>
> or did I make this up?  yours in fiction, leslie
>
> --
> Leslie Kathleen Hankins
> Professor
> Department of English & Creative Writing
>
> *"The sun had not yet risen." *
>                                                          Virginia Woolf, *The
> Waves*

Jean Mills
Associate Professor
The Department of English
John Jay College/CUNY
524 West 59th Street, Room 7.63.12
New York, NY 10019

AUTHOR OF:

"'With every nerve in my body I stand for peace': Jane Ellen Harrison and
the Heresy of War" in *Reconsidering Peace and Patriotism during the First
World War *(Palgrave/Macmillan, 2017)
http://www.palgrave.com/de/book/9783319513003

*Virginia Woolf, Jane Ellen Harrison, and the Spirit of Modernist
Classicism *(The Ohio State University Press, 2014)
https://ohiostatepress.org/Books/Book%20Pages/Mills%20Virginia.html

212.237.8706
JEMILLS at JJAY.CUNY.EDU