[Vwoolf] VW and Sylvia Plath, thank you

kllevenback at att.net kllevenback at att.net
Wed May 3 04:51:14 EDT 2017

Greetings--

This just in from my friend in Australia:

I would like to thank all those who responded to my request for information on Sylvia's Plath's connection to Belle Tout lighthouse.

My request was prompted by a reference on-line to Plath's supposed stay at Belle Tout a year or so before her death. It was then (as now) decommissioned, so she might plausibly have chosen it as a writing retreat. But if so, it would be of singular premonitory significance, for Belle Tout is the sole dwelling that overlooks Beachy Head, the highest chalk cliff in England and one of the most frequented suicide spots in the world.

That none of you can corroborate this assertion leads me to doubt it. Its on-line author, I note, is not a Plath scholar, who would thereby be subject to peer scrutiny.

Again, I thank you for your efforts.

Nigel Rockcliffe