[Vwoolf] Calling all book collectors!

Jackie Ferguson jackie.ferguson38 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 05:49:53 EDT 2017

Hi Catherine

Amongst my ever-expanding Woolf collection the most cherished are the
Hogarth Press early editions of the novels. This collection began when a
kind elderly neighbour, on learning of my interest in Virginia Woolf, gave
me his much-loved first edition of 'The Years', bought and enjoyed by him
when it was first published. After his death his widow gave me both volumes
of The Common Reader; out of one dropped Hugh Walpole's posthumous
appreciation of Virginia, clipped by my neighbour from The New Statesman of
June 14th 1941 - a touching memento.

I can't afford overpriced first editions with dust jackets, but over the
years, by rooting through secondhand bookshops up and down the UK,  I have
picked up one or two without jackets and some second or third impressions,
and have managed to match a Vanessa Bell dust jacket on an incorrect
edition to its rightful owner.  None of these have much monetary value, and
most have obviously (as they should be) been very well-read, but for me the
value is inestimable - it lies in the idea that Virginia herself could very
well have handled one of these books whilst packaging and sorting them in
the Hogarth Press office.

The Holy Grail for me would be a first edition Kew Gardens, not only
because of its beauty as a printed artefact, but because it was
hand-produced by Virginia and Leonard - but alas I do not have $25,000!

Best wishes

Jackie Ferguson

<https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png>
On 7 June 2017 at 00:31, Catherine Hollis <hollisc at berkeley.edu> wrote:

> Dear Woolfians,
>
> In preparation for this year's upcoming conference at Reading, I am
thinking about book collecting, Woolf, and the Hogarth Press. Specifically,
I'm wondering what we, as members of the Woolf community, collect when/if
we collect editions of Woolf's novels or Hogarth Press books?

> Assuming that nobody can afford the $25,000 copy of Kew Gardens (1919) I
saw at a recent antiquarian book fair, have you found a more affordable
niche for collecting Woolf and/or Hogarth Press books? (I look for battered
American editions of Woolf's novels, with somewhat intact Bell dust
jackets; Emily Kopley talks about collecting the Hogarth Press Letters
pamphlet series).

> I've seen great essays by Kopley and Drew Patrick Shannon on collecting
and/or interacting with H.P. / Woolf books, but I'd love to gather more
stories about book collecting from within our own Woolfian community.

> If you've got a story, an anecdote, or an article I should read, I'd love
to hear from you, either via the list or personal email. Thanks in advance!

> Catherine
>

> --
> Catherine W. Hollis, PhD
> Instructor, Fall Program for Freshmen