[Vwoolf] Doct(o)ress

Jane deGay J.deGay at leedstrinity.ac.uk
Fri Jul 21 05:57:44 EDT 2017

Thanks for the discussion, Stuart and Jean! It’s good to know that people are reading Virginia Woolf and Heritage.

I know that the word ‘widow’ sounds a bit odd, and I thought about this myself when copy-editing Jean’s piece. However, definition 12 of the OED notes that it can be applied to a man and the most recent example given is from 2003 (S. Torres Webbe Lost & Found<javascript:void(0)> viii. 127   ‘He's a widow you know. He probably wants to take you on a date.’). I could have taken this up with Jean and suggested the more usual ‘widower’, but I was working on the editorial principle of preserving the integrity of what a contributor had written, and anyway, I quite liked the queer implications of the word.

It’s nice that the book is being discussed – or at least one tiny word in it!

Best wishes
Jane

Virginia Woolf and Heritage: Selected Papers from the 26th Annual Conference on Virginia Woolf
Edited by Jane de Gay, Tom Breckin and Anne Reus
(Clemson: Clemson University Press, 2017)
https://liverpooluniversitypress.co.uk/products/89194
https://secure.touchnet.net/C20569_ustores/web/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCTID=2473