[Vwoolf] Doct(o)ress

Jean Mills millsj7 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 14:16:13 EDT 2017

Hahaha! thanks, Stuart. Well, you know what they say in (American)
publishing, "what one source calls a widow, another calls an orphan"
(Wikipedia)??? Thanks for the good catches; wish you were at my beck and
call during the proofing stage, because as we all know: "the only thing
worse than not being published, is being published" (Dorothy 'hiccup'
Parker).

And Jane did indeed "put it about"!

Much love,
Jean

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 8:52 AM, Stuart N. Clarke <
stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com> wrote:

> “It is a serious inconvenience that neither form ... has been brought into
> any but facetious use as a prefixed title ... See FEMININE DESIGNATIONS.”
> (H. W. FOWLER, “A Dictionary of Modern English Usage”, 1926).
>

> However, I’m not sure I’m always able to keep up with developments.  For
> instance, yesterday I was reading “Virginia Woolf and Heritage: Selected
> Papers from the Twenty-sixth Annual International Conference on Virginia
> Woolf" [at Leeds Trinity University - 16-19 June 2016], with my animal
> companion (✔) on my lap, when I read this:
>
> “Jane Marcus’s widow, Michael . . .”
>
> [Why, oh why, do some lesbians adopt masculine names?  (Thank you,
> Radclyffe Hall.)]
>
> Then four pages later:
>
> “Jane’s husband and family”.
>
> [Well, Jane Marcus certainly put it about!]
>
> On second thoughts, perhaps Americans don’t (any longer?) use the word
> “widower”?
>
> Stuart

Jean Mills
Associate Professor
The Department of English
John Jay College/CUNY
524 West 59th Street, Room 7.63.12
New York, NY 10019

AUTHOR OF:

"'With every nerve in my body I stand for peace': Jane Ellen Harrison and
the Heresy of War" in *Reconsidering Peace and Patriotism during the First
World War *(Palgrave/Macmillan, 2017)
http://www.palgrave.com/de/book/9783319513003

*Virginia Woolf, Jane Ellen Harrison, and the Spirit of Modernist
Classicism *(The Ohio State University Press, 2014)
https://ohiostatepress.org/Books/Book%20Pages/Mills%20Virginia.html

212.237.8706
JEMILLS at JJAY.CUNY.EDU