[Vwoolf] Miss 1933

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Thu Jul 13 13:24:27 EDT 2017

No, she couldn't. " ‘Miss 1933’, whose inclusion conveniently dates the
service, is the most ambivalent about her own spectacle. Dorothy Eley
was the only college graduate in history to win the Miss America
pageant, which she later condemned as a ‘cattle auction’. She went on to
become a teacher, a planespotter in the Second World War and a bridge
master."

Why, I wonder, should the artists have chosen a Miss America rather than
a Miss Europe?