[Vwoolf] Elizabeth Abel

Mary Ellen Foley mefoleyuk at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 13:40:57 EST 2017

My in-laws used that service when they needed a flat for a month of working
at the British Museum. They found one in a fabulous building in a
near-perfect location -- but turned out to be stuffed to the gills with the
owner's hoard of "collectibles".  There were two drawers in the flat that
were available for them to use, and no hanging space.  There was a drawer
of antique combs, and one of antique pin cushions, and one full of jotting
pads all printed with the logo of a long-ago conference of pork producers.
To sit on a chair, I had to move a stack of cushions two feet high (there
were cushions stacked in between the chair legs, too), topped by an
enormous stuffed seal wearing a mortarboard.  The full regalia of a bishop,
inherited, the landlord said, hung in a dry cleaner's bag on the back of
the door, over all kinds of other garments, and it was as much as your life
was worth to open the kitchen cupboards.

They (my in-laws) have, over the years, allowed any number of academics and
students to live in their house and have the care of their animals. I can't
remember all the troubles, except for one fellow who left with all the lids
for the pans, though not the pans themselves, and who had cut the plugs off
of all the appliances.

That's not as bad as my father-in-law's brother's situation, when he
returned from sabbatical in France to find that his academic tenants had
brought in heavy equipment and begun to dig a swimming pool on his
unspoiled property in the Santa Cruz mountains.

So...I'm with the fellow in the article who said he's amazed that people
let strangers into their homes.

Mary Ellen