[Vwoolf] Query: Woolf "quote?" by Deleuze

Johnson, Melissa majohn2 at ilstu.edu
Sat Feb 25 14:24:50 EST 2017

Hello,

I write in hopes that some one on this list can clear something up for me. In my reading I continually come across the reference that Gilles Deleuze makes to Woolf in his essay "Literature and Life." From how it has been quoted by others I thought that Deleuze was quoting Woolf, but when I go to his essay he doesn't quote at all, simply writes:

"To those who ask what literature is, Virginia Woolf responds: To whom are you speaking of writing? The writer does not speak about it, but is concerned with something else."

My question: was Deleuze quoting, or even paraphrasing Woolf? If so, from where? Any reference I find simply references Deleuze, and doesn't follow up with a reference to Woolf.

Thanks in advance!

Melissa

Dr. Melissa Johnson, Ph.D., MILS

Associate Professor