[Vwoolf] Fwd: checks cheques and bills

GILL LOWE gill.lowe1 at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 13 06:47:14 EDT 2017

Just re-reading VW's Introductory Letter to Margaret Llewelyn Davies' Life As We Have Known It  (Virago, 1982 ed.)
Woolf is 'looking at' Mrs Thomas, Mrs Langrish and Miss Bolt of Hebden Bridge. 'They were worth looking at':
'Certainly, there were no armchairs, or electric light, or hot water laid on in their lives; no Greek hills or Mediterranean bays in their dreams. Bakers and butchers did not call for orders. They did not sign a cheque to pay the weekly bills, or order, over the telephone, a cheap but quite adequate seat at the opera' (p.xxiii).
Gill