[Vwoolf] Copyright

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Mon Feb 15 05:18:06 EST 2016

I'm no expert on copyright in general or in the case of Woolf. But in
the UK work published after the death of the author remains in copyright
70 years after first publication. In Woolf's case this would I assume
apply to some diary material and letters, and any fiction unpublished at
her death. In addition, a new, scholarly edition of a work may be
copyright even if the work was first published during the author's
lifetime and the author has been dead for more than 70 years. How
different a scholarly edition has to be to claim copyright is a matter
for lawyers, but significant incorporation of e.g. manuscript material
may be used to claim copyright in such cases.

There are a few Awful Warnings around; James Joyce's /Ulysses/ is one.

Jeremy H