[Vwoolf] Woolf's exit

Toni McNaron mcnar001 at umn.edu
Mon Apr 25 16:29:52 EDT 2016

Thank you, Vara, for posting this article that I had not seen.  I've
been thinking of Virginia all day, however, as rain has fallen here in
Minneapolis on earth sorely in need to moisture and I think of passages
in her own novels about rain.  She asks us to consider how different
rain can be in spring or in harsh autumn on London streets.

I've also been thinking of her project to teach literacy to working
class men in dangerous parts of London so they could read the contracts
that were subjecting them to such abuse by wealthy factory owners and
the like.  So this piece confirms my own deep sense of how strong this
woman was whether traveling to parts of her beloved city deemed
"inappropriate" for young ladies or seizing her pen day after day to
give us those books.

Toni