[Vwoolf] Conference concert: Hearing Woolf's Life Writing

Woolf2016 Woolf2016 at leedstrinity.ac.uk
Tue Apr 19 12:04:26 EDT 2016

We are very proud to announce that we will be hosting a concert of new music inspired by Virginia Woolf’s work as part of the International Virginia Woolf Conference 2016:

Hearing Woolf’s Life Writing

The Concert Hall, Leeds School of Music, Friday 17th June 2016 @ 8 p.m.

Tickets will go on sale via our online store shortly.

The concert focuses on settings of Woolf’s diaries and letters and features three world premieres: the song cycle ‘A Lonely Mind’ by Jan-Willem van Herpen; Richard Barnard’s song cycle ‘Woolf Letters’; and a song by Jeremy Thurlow. Barnard’s and Thurlow’s works were commissioned for this concert. The fourth work of the concert is Dominick Argento’s ‘From the Diary of Virginia Woolf’ (1974, written for the English mezzo-soprano Janet Baker).

This concert is the second in a series showcasing music that inspired Virginia Woolf’s writing and that directly responds to her work, including new commissions, world premieres, and little-known music by women composers. See: http://virginiawoolfmusic.wp.st-andrews.ac.uk/

Woolf famously stated ‘I always think of my books as music before I write them,’ and her writing continues to influence composers who have set her words or been inspired by her novels. Performances, study days, broadcasts and public lectures explore the role of music in Woolf’s work, life and afterlives.

The series is a collaboration between pianist Lana Bode (Trinity Laban Conservatoire) and Dr Emma Sutton (University of St Andrews). Bode will perform in the concert, with Annelies Van Hijfte (soprano), Marta Fontanals-Simmons (mezzo-soprano),
Nicola Rose (mezzo-soprano) and Sian Cameron (piano).

The series is kindly sponsored by the AHRC, the University of St Andrews and the Virginia Woolf Society of Great Britain.

Click here<https://virginiawoolf2016.wordpress.com/conference-programme/> for more details about the conference programme. To register, please visit our Online Store<https://virginiawoolf2016.wordpress.com/online-store/>.

If you have any questions about the conference, please drop us a line on Woolf2016 at leedstrinity.ac.uk<mailto:Woolf2016 at leedstrinity.ac.uk>

Best wishes
Jane, Anne and Tom

The 26th Annual Conference on Virginia Woolf | Leeds Trinity University | 16-19 June 2016
Revd Dr Jane de Gay (Organizer) | Tom Breckin and Anne Reus (Co-Organizers)