[Vwoolf] "Jacob's Room": crux #7

Adolphe Haberer Adolphe.Haberer at univ-lyon2.fr
Fri Sep 4 12:56:09 EDT 2015

Dear Stuart,
I have no problem at all with the voice speaking in the passage you quote from Chapter XIII of Jacob's Room. For me that voice is simply an avatar, or vocal embodiment, of the omniscient narrator, which the Cambridge Dictionary online defines as "the ​voice in which a ​story is written that is ​outside the ​story and ​knows everything about the ​characters and ​events in the ​story". Why should it be attributed to anybody in particular, or as Andre Gerard suggests, to The Times?  For me that voice is to be taken at its faceless value.
Incidentally, I have been reading Any Human Body, that fictive diary of Logan Mountstuart which William Boyd published in 2002. In the course of his long eventful life (1906-1991) he meets lots of people, including Virginia Woolf at the Café Royal. Rather critical of her, I must say. But I find the book quite remarkable.
With all best
Ado

====================
Adolphe Haberer
Professeur émérite à l'Université Lumière-Lyon 2
1 route de Saint-Antoine
69380 Chazay d'Azergues
33 (0)4 78 43 65 24
33 (0)6 63 57 95 91