[Vwoolf] "Jacob's Room": crux #7

Andre Gerard grenpipiens at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 15:11:03 EDT 2015

The voice, in part, at least, could be the voice of *The Times*.  Such an
interpretation would give additional resonance to "imprinting" and "Papers
accumulated."   In "John Delane" (1908), Woolf wrote:  "to-morrow a voice
speaks with authority in Court and market and Council Chamber.  But whose
voice is it?  It is not the voice of Mr. Delane, the urbane gentleman who
rides along Fleet Street on his cob, nor is it the voice of Dr Woodham, the
learned Fellow of Jesus.  It has the authority of Government and the sting
of independence; Downing Street trembles at it and the people of England
give ear to it, for such is the voice of

*The Times."  *
Virginia Woolf had a deep and sharply critical interest in *The Times*.
Her ideas about *The Times* owe much to Leslie Stephen's boisterous attack on
*The Times* in *The Times on the American  War *(1865).  That work, in
turn, as Stephen openly acknowledged, was informed by Kinglake's attack on *The
Times* in *The Invasion of the Crimea* (1863).  Woolf was well aware of
Kinglake's book and Kinglake's criticism of *The Times*.  In *Between the
Acts*, Isa notices "Kinglake's *Crimea"* just before she reads *The Times*'
story about the rape.