[Vwoolf] puple haze

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Wed May 13 04:45:09 EDT 2015

With the advent of the National Health Service and the need to list ingredients on bottles and packets, things became increasingly difficult for this sort of dangerous rubbish.  As Paul Vaughan puts it in his autobiography, the mid-fifties were:

“the end of an era in the pharmaceutical business.  The Celery Tonics, Soothing Powders, Miracletts and Popular Pellets of yesteryear, the old survivors from the age of quackery like Fenning’s Fever Cure (formula: powdered dragon’s blood) were going the way of Mother Siegel’s Syrup and Keene’s One-Night Cold Cure.  The drug industry was now controlled by huge corporations manufacturing antibiotics and anti-depressants and, gradually, all the armoury of scientific medicine.  Ahead of them, too, were such disasters as the thalidomide and chloramphenicol affairs.”
(Paul Vaughan, "Exciting Times in the Accounts Department" (London: Sinclair-Stevenson, 1995), 54.)

Stuart (I haven’t gone yet.)