[Vwoolf] puple haze

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Wed May 13 04:13:56 EDT 2015

I'm reading at the moment Kate Atkinson's novel /Emotionally Weird/,
which is set in 1970s Dundee (Scotland). It includes an account of a
student boiling down some "Dr Chloris Brown's Mixture" to get at the
drug in it (morphine I think). This patent medicine goes way back, I
think to the 19th century, and still exists, although I think that it no
longer contains anything exciting that can be accessed by boiling down.
I remember that it did work very well with stomach upsets. And today
there is a specific cough mixture that you can obtain from chemists
(drug stores) here in Norway that contains some morphine. You have to
show ID when you buy it and you are duly recorded on the computer so
that you can't buy multiple bottles to  get high.

As for the purple staining stuff, it comes back to me that it was daubed
on the feet to treat athlete's foot. Dabbing anything on the eyelids
sounds rather dodgy.

Jeremy H