[Vwoolf] Seeking current smart intro Fem/Gender Theories

Diana Swanson dswanson at niu.edu
Tue May 5 13:45:05 EDT 2015

Hi Leslie,

Are you talking about feminist literary theory or literary theory in general?

I have taught courses in both subject. Books I've used recently and found pretty good include the following. If you are not looking for a book but rather an essay, maybe one of the introductions to these would work?

Feminist literary theory:

Plain and Sellers, eds. A History of Feminist Literary Criticism. Cambridge UP.

Warhol-Down and Price Herndl, eds. Feminisms Redux, Rutgers UP.

Feminist Theory:

Susan Archer Mann, Doing Feminist Theory: From Modernity to Postmodernity, Oxford UP.

Rosemarie Tong, Feminist Thought, Westview, 4th edition is dated 2013.

McCann and Kim,eds., Feminist Theory Reader, Routledge.

All the best,

Diana

Diana L. Swanson, Ph.D.

Associate Professor of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and English

Faculty Associate of the Institute for the Study of the Environment, Sustainability, and Energy

Northern Illinois University

DeKalb, IL 60115

815-753-6611

dswanson at niu.edu