[Vwoolf] Arthur C. Clarke as Leonard Woolf?

Shannon, Drew Drew.Shannon at msj.edu
Wed Jun 17 15:20:33 EDT 2015

Greetings, all!

I'm in Florida on a family vacation, and have spent the bulk of my time not on the beach, but in some of the amazing bookstores in Sarasota.  While at one, the owner, upon learning that I'm also a sci-fi junkie as well as a Woolfian, took me into the back room and showed me some handwritten letters by J. R. R. Tolkien, Frank Herbert, and Arthur C. Clarke.  (This, after having seen Woolf's diaries in the Berg a few weeks ago, was enough to send me into a swoon.)  In one of the Clarke letters, he says, "I played Leonard Woolf in the film version of his novel THE VILLAGE IN THE JUNGLE..."

What?

How did I not know about this, after all these years?  What film version?  I looked it up on IMDB.com, and, sure enough, a film exists, and Clarke apparently is playing Leonard.  Does anyone know anything about this?  Has anyone seen it?  It doesn't seem to be available on DVD or in any other format...

Cheers,
Drew

Drew Shannon, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English
Mount St. Joseph University
5701 Delhi Road
Cincinnati, OH 45233 USA
(513) 244-4541
Drew.Shannon at msj.edu

"I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual." -- Virginia Woolf, Diary, 17 February 1922