[Vwoolf] New biography of Vita Sackville-West

Shannon, Drew Drew.Shannon at msj.edu
Tue Jun 9 17:43:00 EDT 2015

Greetings, all!

I have here the new biography of Vita Sackville-West, entitled Behind the Mask, by Matthew Dennison.  I'm bewildered by something:  twice on the dust jacket, there's a statement that this is the first biography of Vita in "forty years," since Nigel Nicolson's Portrait of a Marriage -- once in the jacket description, and once in a blurb from the Daily Express.  Math's never been my strong suit, but didn't Victoria Glendinning's bio of Vita come out in 1983?

Drew Shannon, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English
Mount St. Joseph University
5701 Delhi Road
Cincinnati, OH 45233 USA
(513) 244-4541
Drew.Shannon at msj.edu<mailto:Drew.Shannon at msj.edu>

"I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual." -- Virginia Woolf, Diary, 17 February 1922