[Vwoolf] Judith Shakespeare

Jeannette Smyth jeannette_smyth at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 19 18:54:56 EDT 2015

Dear Friends,
For a friend who is writing a book about food spirituality and existentialism, among other things, I am looking for fairly sophisticated thinkers about the striking idea Woolf touches upon in A Room of One’s Own, that Shakespeare’s sister picks up and puts on her body, and takes it off and puts it down.
This reverberates strongly with my friend’s own experience and thinking.
Having left the academic study of Woolf and feminism some years ago, I am not sure  what the scholarly terminology would be for this theme of Woolf’s. It is so much more than body dysphoria, and much more about the transgressive idea that women are not ghosts, their bodies take up space. (Anorexia is vibrating here on the periphery, and the largeness of drag kings.) I think there must be a lot of excellent queer theory around this difficulty, of being visible, and I wonder if you all would be so kind as to free associate any good work you can think of with the tale of Judith Shakespeare, and Woolf’s own sense of being invisible and visible.

With thanks
Jeannette Smyth