[Vwoolf] Pushing back Woolf Conference deadline a week

Vandivere, Julie jvandive at bloomu.edu
Fri Jan 23 13:08:03 EST 2015

We have a few points about the 2015 conference we would like to note.

1. A number of people have commented that they are having trouble getting in the proposal after the first week of teaching and have asked for an extension.  We thought if some people were articulating the difficulty, more must be feeling it, so we have moved the deadline for paper and panel proposals to midnight on January 31st.

2. People have also asked if they may present only on Woolf without mentioning anyone else, and we want to reassure everyone that we would LOVE those papers. This is, after all, the Woolf conference, and those papers form the core of this terrifically vibrant community.

3. Once you have all your abstracts in, please pay attention to the Call for ENTRIES.  We were inspired by the visual artists in our midst (shout out to Elisa Sparks) and the university has a new art gallery, so we are running an international call for works on paper.  The April deadline is much later than the call for PAPERS, and I will mention it again after all abstracts are in.  But we wanted to give you a head’s up that you should look here:  http://woolf.bloomu.edu/?page_id=267 and if you are a visual artist or have friends who are, it’s a great opportunity.

4. If you are on the MSA listserv, you have seen that Cassandra Laity has been asked to start a new journal on modernist women writers.  This is very exciting and Cassandra certainly has the muscle to do it.  She is coming to the conference to further the project and has begun using her tremendous energy to bring a variety of voices to the dialogue.

If you want to review the Call for Papers, we are including it below:

Thank you all so much for the good will and energy you have all directed our way so far — even though we are still months away.

Julie Vandivere and Erica Delsandro

Call for Papers
The 25th Annual International Conference on Virginia Woolf, sponsored by Bloomsburg University, will take place in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, June 4-7, 2015. The topic,Virginia Woolf and Her Female Contemporaries, seeks to contextualize Virginia Woolf’s writing alongside the work of her contemporaries. This unprecedented number of women writers — experimentalists, middlebrow authors, journalists, poets, and editors — was simultaneously contributing to, as well as complicating, modernist literature. In what ways did these burgeoning communities and enclaves of women writers intersect with (or coexist alongside) Virginia Woolf?

We welcome proposals for papers, panels, roundtables, and workshops from literary and interdisciplinary scholars, creative and performing artists, common readers, undergraduates, students, and teachers at all levels. Submissions should relate to Virginia Woolf and Her Female Contemporaries and may emphasize either the development of enclaves or specific female subcultures or individual writers who were contemporaneous with Virginia Woolf.

Possible themes include:

  *   The role of sexuality in the formation of communities of women writers
  *   Publication and women writers
  *   The Little Magazines and women writers
  *   Fashion and women writers
  *   The role of the new electronic mediums in the promotion of women writers
  *   The rise of women writers and the anti-war movement
  *   Suffragism and emerging women writers
  *   Psychoanalysis and the advent of women writers
  *   War and women writers

In addition to papers clearly focused on Virginia Woolf, we also welcome themes that involve any of the many women writers of the early twentieth-century including (but not limited to) Gertrude Stein, H.D., Katherine Mansfield, Dorothy Richardson, Mina Loy, Vera Brittain, Marianne Moore, Jean Rhys, Djuna Barnes, Una Marson, Colette, Mary Butts, Amy Lowell, Rebecca West, Kay Boyle, Bryher, Elizabeth Bowen, and Enid Bagnold.

For individual papers, send a 250-word proposal. For panels of three or four people, please send a proposal title and a 250-word proposal for each paper. For roundtables and workshops, send a 250 to 500-word proposal and biographical description of each participant. Also, if you would like to chair a panel, please let us know.

High school students and undergraduates will have their own panels and seminars. Graduate students are welcome to submit proposals via the normal conference process.

Email proposal by attachment in word to Julie Vandivere at Woolf2015 at bloomu.edu<mailto:Woolf2015 at bloomu.edu>
Deadline for proposals is January 31, 2015.