[Vwoolf] crowdsourcing a photograph

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 10 03:29:35 EDT 2015

The curious thing that looks like a badger’s head is perhaps a hat; the stripe is the hatband.  See Glendinning’s biog, Weidenfeld and Nicolson, plate between 206 and 207.  Altho’ cropped in the Penguin edn (which I don’t have), Richardson (whom you should always look at first, over illustrations) says many are clearer in the Penguin.

I would guess that the draped item is a light jacket.

Still, the more I look, the less convinced I am!  If it’s a hat, how is it being held up?  Could the “badger” be the collar of the jacket?  Vita’s right hand is holding the brim of the hat or the lapel of the jacket?

Stuart