[Vwoolf] And I thought *I* was pedantic ...

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 27 03:01:12 EDT 2015

E.g., "The 'inhumanity' of 'Jacob's Room', as both Adorno and Lyotard might recognize it, obtains in the text's denial of its own explanatory closure, in the inconclusiveness that refuses to allow any signified in the narrative to emerge from behind the force of its signifier." (p. 74).

BELL, Kevin, "Something Savage, Something Pedantic: Imaginary Portraits of Certitude in 'Jacob's Room'" in "Ashes Taken for Fire: Aesthetic Modernism and the Critique of Identity" (Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2007).