[Vwoolf] New Yorker essay on VW and Wharton

Jeannette Smyth jeannette_smyth at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 24 13:25:43 EDT 2014

Ha! I've been thinking how much better Wharton is at character and plot, and het sex (?!) than Woolf is. We all know why VW abandoned character and plot and het sex. But I must say I still get the willies when I read House of Mirth, and nearly faint when Archer kisses the hole in Olenska's glove. Compared to the narrative arc of the ladies' quotidian lives in Woolf's attempted novel of fact, The Years, Wharton's much more Aristotelian derriere-garde techniques really are gripping. Also, I think the buccaneer aspects of American society, and the female protagonists of Wharton, are something Woolf -- herself very ambitious, and critical of social climbers -- did not quite, how you say, grok. (All of a sudden, I am overwhelmed with Woolf's use of Aristotelian techniques....Between the Acts, Dalloway....)

Not throwing out old Edith.

But you are hilarious.

With thanks
Jeannette Smyth