[Vwoolf] New Yorker essay on VW and Wharton

Jeannette Smyth jeannette_smyth at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 23 13:51:44 EDT 2014

This is very, very interesting, thank you for the heads up.
I have read every word of the diaries and letters at least three times, where VW's casual reading and influences are most frequently to be found. I can’t remembering her mentioning Edith Wharton in any connection, and the author here notes he cannot find any record of VW’s having read Age of Innocence.
What interesting ouevres  to compare, though. And how interesting Woolf’s contention that Wharton was not a real American — only Walt Whitman, of the fluid gender, was.
Thank you again.
Jeannette Smyth