[Vwoolf] The walrus pen-wiper in "The Years"

ANNE Fernald [Staff/Faculty [A&S]] fernald at fordham.edu
Tue Sep 23 09:38:02 EDT 2014

Oh, wow. That was worth the click.

Just when I think, "ok, we have gone too far--I cannot take another bit of
Woolfian minutia," Stuart delivers with an adorable pig pen (or nib) wipe.

Thank you.

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 8:50 AM, Stuart N. Clarke <
stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com> wrote:

>   I’ve always wondered what it looked like, “the spotted walrus with a
> brush in its back that Martin had given his mother on her last birthday”;
> “Eleanor was sitting at her writing-table with her pen in her hand. It's
> awfully queer, she thought, touching the ink-corroded patch of bristle on
> the back of Martin's walrus with the point of her pen, that that should
> have gone on all these years.”
>
> It must have looked something like this pig pen-wiper:
>
> http://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/66080/large-antique-brass-figural-pen-or-nib-wipe-pig
>
> Stuart

Anne E. Fernald
<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,
Associate Professor of English
<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/index.asp>
and Women's Studies <http://www.fordham.edu/womens_studies>
Fordham University