[Vwoolf] a video on why Woolf matters

ANNE Fernald [Staff/Faculty [A&S]] fernald at fordham.edu
Tue Oct 28 19:36:32 EDT 2014

Hello Woolfians,

This has been a fun thread, much as it reminds me of a quotation from Henry
James that I used to have painted on a bookshelf: "One does not defend
one's gods. One's god is, in himself, a defense." [paraphrasing, from
memory; please forgive me.]

I feel that about Woolf, which is maybe an unhelpful feeling for your
project, Ilana. Except, maybe it's not: I mean, part of what makes us so
passionate about her writing is in her writing, tout court. So anything you
can do--whether the topic is feminism, the everyday, the homoerotic or
intertextuality--to give readers a sense of the richness that awaits them
when they read Woolf, will be a bonus.

At its best, Alain de Botton's work does that and so I think this project
has a lot of potential.

All best,

Anne

On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 9:21 AM, coruscate818 <coruscate818 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I would argue that Woolf thought more deeply than others, including
> other writers, about language, semiotics, and alternatives to the
> conventional sign system. See the essay "Craftsmanship" (or listen to
> it:
> http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/04/29/craftsmanship-virginia-woolf-speaks-1937/
> ).
>
> See also these passages from "The Waves":
>
> "I will not conjugate the verb," said Louis, 'until Bernard has said
> it. My father is a banker in Brisbane and I speak with an Australian
> accent. I will wait and copy Bernard. He is English. They are all
> English I know the lesson by heart. I know more than they will ever
> know. I knew my cases and my genders; I could know everything in the
> world if I wished. But I do not wish to come to the top and say my
> lesson. My roots are threaded, like fibres in a flower-pot, round and
> round about the world...They laugh at my neatness, at my Australian
> accent. I will now try to imitate Bernard softly lisping Latin."
>
> "Those are white words," said Susan, "like stones one picks up by the
> seashore."
>
> "They flick their tails right and left as I speak them,' said Bernard.
> 'They wag their tails; they flick their tails; they move through the
> air in flocks, now this way, now that way, moving all together, now
> dividing, now coming together."
>
> "Those are yellow words, those are fiery words,' said Jinny. 'I should
> like a fiery dress, a yellow dress, a fulvous dress to wear in the
> evening."
>
> "Each tense," said Neville, "means differently. There is an order in
> this world; there are distinctions, there are differences in this
> world, upon whose verge I step. For this is only a beginning."
> "I am astonished, as I draw the veil off things with words, how much,
> how infinitely more than I can say, I have observed. More and more
> bubbles into my mind as I talk, images and images. "
> "My mind hums hither and thither with its veil of words for
> everything... There is no stability in this world. Who is to say what
> meaning there is in anything? Who is to foretell the flight of a word?
> It is a balloon that sails over tree-tops. To speak of knowledge is
> futile. All is experiment and adventure.
> "When I read, a purple rim runs round the black edge of the textbook.
> Yet I cannot follow any word through its changes. I cannot follow any
> thought from present to past."
> "The trees, scattered, put on order; the thick green of the leaves
> thinned itself to a dancing light. I netted them under with a sudden
> phrase. I retrieved them from formlessness with words."
> -L.D.
>
> On Oct 27, 2014 7:58 PM, "Jeannette Smyth"
> <jeannette_smyth at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > The beauty of the quotidian: moments of being.
> >
> > There's also a remarkable thread thru "A Haunted House" , On Being Ill,
> [...]

Anne E. Fernald
<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,
Associate Professor of English
<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/index.asp>
and Women's Studies <http://www.fordham.edu/womens_studies>
Fordham University