[Vwoolf] a video on why Woolf matters

coruscate818 coruscate818 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 09:21:31 EDT 2014

I would argue that Woolf thought more deeply than others, including
other writers, about language, semiotics, and alternatives to the
conventional sign system. See the essay "Craftsmanship" (or listen to
it: http://www.brainpickings.org/index.php/2013/04/29/craftsmanship-virginia-woolf-speaks-1937/).

See also these passages from "The Waves":

"I will not conjugate the verb," said Louis, 'until Bernard has said
it. My father is a banker in Brisbane and I speak with an Australian
accent. I will wait and copy Bernard. He is English. They are all
English I know the lesson by heart. I know more than they will ever
know. I knew my cases and my genders; I could know everything in the
world if I wished. But I do not wish to come to the top and say my
lesson. My roots are threaded, like fibres in a flower-pot, round and
round about the world...They laugh at my neatness, at my Australian
accent. I will now try to imitate Bernard softly lisping Latin."

"Those are white words," said Susan, "like stones one picks up by the
seashore."

"They flick their tails right and left as I speak them,' said Bernard.
'They wag their tails; they flick their tails; they move through the
air in flocks, now this way, now that way, moving all together, now
dividing, now coming together."

"Those are yellow words, those are fiery words,' said Jinny. 'I should
like a fiery dress, a yellow dress, a fulvous dress to wear in the
evening."

"Each tense," said Neville, "means differently. There is an order in
this world; there are distinctions, there are differences in this
world, upon whose verge I step. For this is only a beginning."
"I am astonished, as I draw the veil off things with words, how much,
how infinitely more than I can say, I have observed. More and more
bubbles into my mind as I talk, images and images. "
"My mind hums hither and thither with its veil of words for
everything... There is no stability in this world. Who is to say what
meaning there is in anything? Who is to foretell the flight of a word?
It is a balloon that sails over tree-tops. To speak of knowledge is
futile. All is experiment and adventure.
"When I read, a purple rim runs round the black edge of the textbook.
Yet I cannot follow any word through its changes. I cannot follow any
thought from present to past."
"The trees, scattered, put on order; the thick green of the leaves
thinned itself to a dancing light. I netted them under with a sudden
phrase. I retrieved them from formlessness with words."
-L.D.