[Vwoolf] Historical event of being denied access to library?

Lorena Russell lrussell at unca.edu
Mon Oct 27 16:09:29 EDT 2014

Dear Woolfians,
A colleague has asked me whether or not there was an historical occasion in
Woolf's life when she was denied access to a [university] library. I know
that ROO is based on historical lectures she gave at Cambridge, but I had
never heard of an actual incident where she was turned away (though she
would have been, I suspect).
I think of the text as largely fictionalized, but thought I would ask the
group if there was an historical precedence of V. Woolf being shunned at a
library door.
Many thanks,
Lorena Russell

Lorena Russell, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Dept. of Literature & Language
Director of UNC Asheville's QEP/Inquiry ARC
CPO #3120, 220 Karpen Hall
Univ. of North Carolina at Asheville
Asheville, NC 28804
lrussell at unca.edu | 828-251-6594