[Vwoolf] What do you think these are?

Caroline Webb caroline.webb at newcastle.edu.au
Wed Oct 1 18:29:48 EDT 2014

The painting is from 1610.  As I indicated earlier, the object is too small even for a telescope in those days; I don’t believe a lens as small as that presumably in the hole at the “eyepiece” could be accurately ground.  Look at the size of the object relative to the boy’s fingers.

Kaleidoscopes were invented over two hundred years later than this painting.

I still think it’s a recorder . . .

Caroline