[Vwoolf] R: Open Access

June Cummins jcummins at mail.sdsu.edu
Tue Nov 25 14:32:58 EST 2014

Right. I've signed several contracts saying I won't make my work
available to the public online.  Also, none of the journals I most often
use via Project Muse have open access.  There would have to be a sea
change in American publishing practices for everyone in the US to agree
that open access is the best method.  I do agree in principle that
people should have access to what is published, but I also see that
publishers and presses need to make money somehow, and so far, in the
U.S., subscription-based access is the only way they can.

June

On 11/25/14, 12:58 PM, James Gifford wrote:
> I believe you could argue academia.edu <http://academia.edu> exists
> for this purpose.  Also, many publishers have begun to include
> self-archiving as an explicitly permitted activity (using the
> pre-press, pre-edited copy only), and in my experience OUP now
> includes this in their contracts for journal content after an embargo
> period (one year).
>
> That said, other publishers actively pursue legal action against their
> own authors who self-archive, and I've also seen contracts for
> periodicals that expressly prohibit it or require copyright be
> assigned to the publisher.
>
> But I think I'll go back to lurking on the listserv now...
>
> All best,
> James
>
> On 25 November 2014 at 10:50, Roy <roy at mantex.co.uk
> <mailto:roy at mantex.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>     In the Open Access debate, I am surprised that there doesn't seem
>     to be more awareness of the solution to these problems of academic
>     publishing proposed by Steven Harnad almost twenty years ago. He
>     argues very persuasively that academics should simply self-archive
>     their research on line. The basics of these proposals (and the
>     demolition of objections to them) are reviewed here:
>
>     http://www.mantex.co.uk/2009/07/13/scholarly-journals-at-the-crossroads/
>
>       Further arguments in favour of electronic publishing were
>     advanced only a few years later, and are reviewed here:
>
>     http://www.mantex.co.uk/2009/07/20/towards-electronic-journals/
>
>       And for a ground level view of some of the basic Open Source
>     Research issues, see here:
>
>     http://www.mantex.co.uk/2010/09/05/open-source-research/
>
>     **
>
>     Dr Roy Johnson
>
>     www.mantex.co.uk <http://www.mantex.co.uk>

> --
> ---------------------------------------
> James Gifford, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor of English and University Core Director
> School of English, Philosophy and Humanities
> University College: Arts, Sciences, Professional Studies
> Fairleigh Dickinson University, Vancouver Campus
> Voice: 604-648-4476
> Fax: 604-648-4489
> E-mail: gifford at fdu.edu <mailto:gifford at fdu.edu>
> http://alpha.fdu.edu/~jgifford <http://alpha.fdu.edu/%7Ejgifford>
>
> 842 Cambie Street
> Vancouver, BC
> V6B 2P6 Canada

June Cummins, Associate Professor
Director, Graduate Program
Department of English and Comparative Literature
San Diego State University
jcummins at mail.sdsu.edu
SDSU Children's Literature Program
childlit.sdsu.edu <http://childlit.sdsu.edu>