[Vwoolf] Trigger warnings

Diana Swanson dswanson at niu.edu
Mon May 19 12:05:13 EDT 2014

thank you for your eloquence, Jean.
Diana

>>> Jean Mills <millsj7 at gmail.com> 5/19/2014 10:31 AM >>>
I echo the sentiments and experiences outlined by Vara, Diana, and
Lorena. I've had high percentages of war veterans in my classes, and
students who are survivors of sexual abuse, war trauma (not just
soldiers from Iraq and Afghanistan, but victims of war from conflicts
all over the globe, Bosnia-Herzegovinia, Serbia, Ukraine, Russia,
C.A.R., Nigeria, Libya, Lebanon, Guatemala, Nicaragua... sadly, I could
go on), domestic abuse survivors, and incest survivors, students from
every echelon, race, class, age, sexual orientation, etc. Since I began
teaching in the CUNY system in 1999, integrating students with PTSD into
the classroom has been somewhat a norm (not to mention carrying on
teaching literature, especially Woolf and poetry, through 9/11 in
trailers and makeshift classrooms in what had just the other day been
the shadow of the Twin Towers). Thank God we had literature to help us
through. That's what its job is. Our job is to help them navigate the
experience. Professional boundaries are extremely important in the
exchange, an awareness of the support we each have in our college's
counseling services, veterans' services, etc, and the academic freedom
we cherish to craft our syllabi in a way that works both for your own
strengths as an educator and your students, who are encountering the
material for the first time.

I am completely against having any set policy on "trigger warnings"
(what a horrible phrase) on our syllabi, but completely supportive of
alternatives meant to help members of the profession to understand and
deal with these extraordinary teachable moments in our classes.

I also think that medium matters, and we have to be aware of the
difference between visuals in the classroom as pedagogy versus words on
the page. Anything mediated through the camera alters its content, and I
have much stronger opinions about visual representation in the
classroom, and very rarely use it. Our students are visually saturated
enough as it is, but it's a different experience reading a text,
interacting with it, and coming to one's own conclusions and
associations, versus being "shown" violence, where the student does,
indeed, become more of a passive receptor trapped or assaulted by images
not of his or her own making.

This conversation also speaks to Woolf's continued relevance to our
students' lives and to the common and uncommon future.

Jean

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Lorena Russell <lrussell at unca.edu>