[Vwoolf] Trigger warnings

Mark Hussey mhussey at verizon.net
Mon May 19 11:55:17 EDT 2014

I had a vet (Iraq and Afghanistan) in my modernism class this past semester.
He was quite impressed at Woolf’s ability to capture in Septimus Warren
Smith the experience of postwar trauma.  I’ve frequently taught classes on
cultural response to 9/11, and as my university is ¼ mile from the Trade
Center site I assume that at least some of my students are going to have
fairly direct connections to the events of 9.11.01.  Beginning the semester
with an acknowledgment that it is possible course material will trigger
difficult memories and inviting any student with concerns to discuss them
right away seems a reasonable precaution to take.  I would not change my
syllabus, however, as it seems to me that the possibilities for “triggers”
exist everywhere: online, in tv shows, movies, conversations with
acquaintances, billboards, etc. It may be that the classroom is a far safer
environment within which to encounter such triggers but that such safety
requires aware teachers.  And, of course, it is not only students who may be
dealing with such issues.