[Vwoolf] Cezanne's apples?

Lorena Russell lrussell at unca.edu
Sat Mar 22 13:37:50 EDT 2014

Dear Woolfians,

I'm preparing a brief undergraduate lecture on modernism, and am trying to
track down a Cezanne painting that Woolf mentions in her April 1918 diary
entry. In that entry (I believe Vol. I p. 40--I don't have the source here),
she recalls an afternoon with Roger Frye and talks about a Cezanne still
life. From what I can tell, this would be the "Still Life with Apples," at
the Fitzwilliam although the footnote references one called simple
"Apples." The Fitzwilliam painting has 8 apples and Woolf references 6 in
her journal. I realize this may just be an inaccuracy in her account, and I
know it's a minor detail, but I wondered if anyone on this list might know
what Cezanne painting she is referencing in that diary reference.

Many thanks,

Lorena

Lorena Russell, Ph.D.

Director of UNC Asheville's QEP, the Inquiry ARC

Associate Professor, Dept. Literature & Language

CPO #2130, Karpen Hall

University of North Carolina

One University Heights

Asheville, NC 28804