[Vwoolf] Fw: in the hands of the Lord

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Tue Jun 3 08:13:15 EDT 2014

Yes, I think on balance that I agree, Stuart. The fact that there are no
quotation marks round the comment the first time ties in with what I
recall is a larger Woolfian convention following which spoken utterances
are enclosed in quotation marks and silent thoughts are not.

If so, this would suggest that the self, or subject, can have at least
three different sorts of relationship to words in the head. First,
phrases "lying in the mind" can be "lifted up" by some external stimulus
and as it were presented to the self. Second, the self can be "trapped"
into mentally saying something that it does not mean. And third, the
self can utter words mentally, while in full control of their force -
"How could any Lord have made this world? she asked."

This accords with what introspection tells me.

Jeremy