[Vwoolf] virginia woolf and the everyday--teaching ideas?

patrick collier pccollier at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 09:31:35 EDT 2014

Hey Woolf Friends,
      I have the good fortune of teaching two classes this semester on
Virginia Woolf and the Everyday: one at the grad level and one at the
undergrad level. My plan is to have the two classes read the same primary
texts (novels by Woolf & a few essays, including "Street Haunting") and to
have the grad students read heavily in the theory (Ben Highmore, de
Certeau, Benjamin), while the undergrads will sample the theory and hear me
lecture about it a bit.
        I have a few other ideas: I'm going to have both groups maintain a
diary that records ordinary daily activities as a way of generating raw
material for them to analyze their own everyday life via the ideas they're
encountering in class. I'm going to come up with some assignment that uses
Woolf's diaries and letters (possibly a short in-class presentation in
which students are assigned to read in a chunk of the dairies or letters
and identify some threads that emerge). I'll probably have both contribute
discussion-board posts to a class blog.
        But I'm writing because I would be very interested in any ideas
that spring to mind for you all about in-class activities, short or long
writing assignments, concepts you think should be brought forward,
additional reading ideas, etc.
        Thanks!
            Pat