[Vwoolf] Sound in Mrs. Dalloway

ANNE Fernald [Staff/Faculty [A&S]] fernald at fordham.edu
Mon Jan 27 06:47:45 EST 2014

Dear Wyatt,

Others can add to this, but my sense is that sound studies is a new enough
field that the 'sound in Mrs. Dalloway' article is yet to be wriitten. The
first two places I would go are J. Hillis Miller's chapter in Fiction and
Repetition and Anna Snaith's work on sound in general. Then, perhaps,
Cristina Ruotolo on music and Rishona Zimring on social dance--both great
scholars but I haven't read their new books yet.

After that, I suspect you'll find stray comments on the backfiring car,
music in others' work.

There's more music in the draft version, reprinted as *The Hours*:
Stravinsky is mentioned at the party (341), and Joseph Breitkopf's favorite
song is identified (here, from my forthcoming edition):

*old Breitkopf would open the piano* VW eliminated the reference to his
> choice of music in the final version. Cf. ‘Old Breitkopf would open the
> piano, & sing ‘Ich grolle nicht’’ (*BL*3 33; *H* 329) See also *BL*3 83;
> *H* 381. ‘Ich grolle nicht’ is a poem by Heinrich Heine (1797-1856), set
> to music by Robert Schumann (1810-1856), the most celebrated of his *Dichterliebe
> *(1844). LW greatly admired and often listened to German *liede* (see EN
> 123:8) and the Woolfs owned two sets of Heine’s complete works in German as
> well as Havelock Ellis’s translation of his prose (WSU). The eight-line
> poem begins ‘Ich grolle nicht, und Wenn das Herz auch bricht / Ewig
> verlornes lieb!’ (‘I will not grieve, although my heart should break / Thou
> art lost to me!’).

It's a great topic. I hope it goes well for her,

Anne

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 11:57 PM, Wyatt Bonikowski <
wyattbonikowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Woolfians,
>
> I have an undergraduate student writing an honors thesis on Mrs.
> Dalloway, and she is particularly interested in how Woolf uses sound
> in the novel. The student is interested not only in Woolf's use of
> sound to portray the experience of the city but also how sound often
> prompts an investigation into the nature of the self. (For this, she
> is also investigating sound in relation to "moments of being" in "A
> Sketch of the Past.") I was wondering if anyone knows of critical
> works that address these issues in the novel or in Woolf's work more
> generally. She has found a number of good sources, but I am concerned
> that she might be missing more that would be useful to her project.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Best,
>
> Wyatt Bonikowski
> Associate Professor
> English Department
> Suffolk University
> Boston, MA

Anne E. Fernald<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,
Associate Professor of
English<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/index.asp>and
Women's
Studies <http://www.fordham.edu/womens_studies>