[Vwoolf] Sound in Mrs. Dalloway

Wyatt Bonikowski wyattbonikowski at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 23:57:36 EST 2014

Dear Woolfians,

I have an undergraduate student writing an honors thesis on Mrs.
Dalloway, and she is particularly interested in how Woolf uses sound
in the novel. The student is interested not only in Woolf's use of
sound to portray the experience of the city but also how sound often
prompts an investigation into the nature of the self. (For this, she
is also investigating sound in relation to "moments of being" in "A
Sketch of the Past.") I was wondering if anyone knows of critical
works that address these issues in the novel or in Woolf's work more
generally. She has found a number of good sources, but I am concerned
that she might be missing more that would be useful to her project.

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Wyatt Bonikowski
Associate Professor