[Vwoolf] Woolf's Loeb's

Jean Mills millsj7 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 09:38:07 EDT 2014

Not sure, but there might be something of use in Yopie Prins, "The Sexual
Politics of Translating Prometheus Bound." Classical Reception and the
Political. Spec. issue of Cultural Critique 74 (Winter 2010): 1-17, where
she discusses, if I'm remembering correctly, VW's contact with Loeb
Classics.

Jean

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 5:41 PM, ANNE Fernald [Staff/Faculty [A&S]] <
fernald at fordham.edu> wrote:

> Good afternoon Woolfians,
>
> I'm trying to fix a footnote and maybe you can help: my editor says that
> she remembers reading somewhere that the Woolfs owned dozens (mabye more
> than 100?) Loeb editions of the classics.
>
> The library at WSU, which is by no means all of their books, only lists
> one. (catalog here:
> http://ntserver1.wsulibs.wsu.edu/masc/onlinebooks/woolflibrary/woolflibraryonline.htm
> )
>
> Does anyone have a citation that would confirm my/our hunch that the
> Woolfs in fact owned many?
>
> This is interesting for many reasons but in this instance because Woolf
> has Septimus with a shelf of Loeb editions in an early draft of *Mrs.
> Dalloway* and I want to underscore the point that Woolf is not sneering at
> him, but admiring his attempt. She says as much in a review of the Loebs,
> but having an account of how many she owned is another piece of information.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Anne
>
> --
> Anne E. Fernald<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/faculty/english_faculty/anne_fernald_28537.asp>
> Director of Writing/Composition at Lincoln Center,
> Associate Professor of English<http://www.fordham.edu/academics/programs_at_fordham_/english/index.asp>and Women's
> Studies <http://www.fordham.edu/womens_studies>
> Fordham University
> 113 W 60th St.