[Vwoolf] staging female author suicides

George Entenman ge at entenman.net
Wed Jun 19 23:44:06 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 2:22 PM, Gregory Jordan Dekter <jdekter at gmail.com>wrote:

> If the distaste is that the images use the theme of suicide as a point of
> interest, I am reminded of a recent experience I had. Last year I attended
> an exhibit at the New York Public Library that included some Woolf
> artifacts. One item was a diary. Another was her walking stick.
> Interestingly, the exhibit made particular note that the walking stick
> displayed was the one Woolf had with her when she walked into the River
> Ouse the day she killed herself. I wonder what additional enticement the
> curator felt describing the item by its final use would create. Was the
> simple fact that the walking stick was owned by Virginia Woolf not enough?
> Was some additional allure manifest in its passive connection to her
> suicide? I don't know the answer to this, but I also do not remember anyone
> being bothered by it.
>
> Greg

When I read that the walking stick in that glass case was Virginia Woolf's
and that she had walked into the river with it, I felt a deep shock and
sadness and had to read the last words in her diary, kind words for Leonard.

For a long time, I stood and stared at these two objects, feeling a
deepening sadness which has not diminished since.

There was something sacred about these two objects - and I say this as a
non-believer.

The Vice photos, on the other hand, left me feeling ill-at-ease, violated
yet again by our consumer culture, subjected to yet another attempt to
elicit feelings in me for some purpose that I don't understand.  I worry
that even negative feelings or a long discussion here somehow plays into
their hands and that makes me feel dirty.

-- ge

--
George Entenman (جورج  من
قفصة<https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/101467996658104595560/albums/5799324775572500385/5799352240235308434>