[Vwoolf] staging female author suicides

Tonya Krouse krouset at nku.edu
Wed Jun 19 19:33:59 EDT 2013

I think that this piece from The Atlantic explains much of what I want to say:

http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/06/why-do-so-many-people-like-looking-at-images-of-women-committing-suicide/277011/

Also, in particular, this quote from it:

"In my imaginary photo shoot, Dorothy Parker is mid-joke at the Algonquin Round Table. Virginia Woolf is squeezing Vita Sackville-West's ass at a picnic. Sylvia Plath is typing, baby on her lap. Charlotte Perkins Gilman is handing out pamphlets on evolution at a Darwinist meeting.

They're active, they're in their element. They're doing the things that made them who they were, not the one thing that ended their lives."

Yes, there is good art and bad art, and both might be conceived as "art," regardless.  I suppose the point of those who object to this magazine spread is the fact that it fetishizes the suicides of exceptional women, as opposed to fetishizing the art that these exceptional women made, or fetishizing the exceptional ideas that these women had.  And the fact of the matter is precisely that there have been suicidal male artists/writers, and yet somehow they manage to be recognized for their work or their interests (for example: Hemingway with his bull-fighting and six-toed cats) rather than objectified for the scenes of their suicides.

As I see it, the fact that we can make an alibi for the images in the Vice spread doesn't mean that there is any excuse for that spread.  And yes, that spread should be open for critique, as art, and on the grounds that it is misogynistic and sexist.  COME ON.  Seriously?