[Vwoolf] "The triumph of theory"

Katherine Hill-Miller Katherine.Hill-Miller at liu.edu
Wed Jul 17 08:02:25 EDT 2013

Amen!

Kathy

From: vwoolf-bounces at lists.service.ohio-state.edu [mailto:vwoolf-bounces at lists.service.ohio-state.edu] On Behalf Of Stuart N. Clarke
Sent: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:00 AM
To: vwoolf at lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Subject: [Vwoolf] "The triumph of theory"

Theory seems to come from the Continent.  Trouble with these Continentals is that they can’t write English.  Why do we have to learn a foreign language to discuss literature?

See, e.g., Denise Delorey, "Parsing the Female Sentence: The Paradox of Containment in Virginia Woolf's Narratives" in "Ambiguous Discourse", ed. MEZEI, Kathy (Chapel Hill: Univ of North Carolina Pr, 1996): “the narrator is not simply strategically heterodiegetic” (p. 97).

I want to know what “heterodiegetic” means, so I look up my dictionary – no good.  So I turn to Wikipedia, and I find it’s some bloody word invented by one Gérard Genette.

Wikipedia says:
“A writer's choice in the narrator is crucial for the way a work of fiction is perceived by the reader. There is a distinction between first-person<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-person_narrative> and third-person narrative<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-person_narrative>, which Gérard Genette<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%A9rard_Genette> refers to as homodiegetic and heterodiegetic narrative, respectively. A homodiegetic narrator describes own personal experiences as a character in the story.”

I do not see how the terms, homodiegetic and heterodiegetic narrative, are an improvement on first-person<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First-person_narrative> and third-person narrative<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-person_narrative>.

Stuart