[Vwoolf] 'a look of John Burrows'

Harish Trivedi harish.trivedi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 14:32:00 EST 2013

Well, yes, there is a little problem there! But VW's view of Trollope was a
bit more complicated than that perhaps.

Leslie Stephen, who had known Trollope, thought he looked like 'the ideal
beef-eater' who could bring the roof down with his boisterous laughter. VW
read *Barchester Towers* early, in 1897. She later wrote: 'We believe in
Barchester as we believe in the reality of our own weekly bills.'  But that
wasn't of course a compliment; just for that reason, his 'two and thirty
chapters' never took off. Must novels be like this, she seemed to have
asked of just such novels.

But then, there's also a surprisingly positive assessment, even if as an
obiter dictum. She did say that *The Small House at Allington* and *Pride
and Prejudice* were 'those two perfect novels.' ('The Novels of George
Meredith,' 1928)  One wishes she had explained fully why she mentioned the
two in the same breath. The only hint we seem to have is that 'perfect'
though those two novels may have been in their own way, Meredith was to be
lauded for breaking away from that mould of perfection. 'English fiction
had to escape from the dominon of that perfection...if fiction had remained
what it was to Jane Austen and Trollope, fiction would by this time be
dead.'

But then, again: 'How admirable it all is -- but not symbolized --
therefore peters out -- dribbles away.'  (Reading notes on The Small
House...)

So, it is a bit more complex than VW simply not liking Trollope.

Best wishes.
Harish Trivedi