[Vwoolf] Trollope and Woolf

Walker Edin, Kayla kwalkeredi at mail.smu.edu
Mon Jan 7 14:10:19 EST 2013

Hi Anne,

In “A Sketch of the Past” in Moments of Being, Woolf names Jane Austen and Anthony Trollope as the two “real novelist[s]” who “can somehow convey both sorts of being”—that is, “being” and “non-being”-- the spiritual or existential and the banal.  Woolf sees both as worthy of artistic tribute; indeed, she modestly claims that she has “never been able to do both” but “tried” to strike that delicate balance in Night and Day and The Years. (Woolf, “A Sketch of the Past,” Moments of Being. 2nd ed., ed. Jeanne Schulkind. (New York, Harcourt Brave Jovanich, 1985), 70.)

Hope this helps!

It was lovely to see so many IVWS folks in Boston this past weekend. I look forward to Chicago '14!

---
Kayla Walker Edin
Southern Methodist University

kwalkeredi at smu.edu