[Vwoolf] Encountering Virginia Woolf

Catherine Hollis hollisc at berkeley.edu
Wed Aug 28 13:02:26 EDT 2013

Finally reading these! What a wonderful thread... thanks to whoever started
it.

Mrs. Dalloway was my first. I found her at St. Mark's Books in NYC during
the fall of 1985. Who was she? Why was she buying flowers? I began to buy
myself flowers at the local Korean grocery to keep in my dorm room. I wrote
a mash note to an indie rock guy making him guess who wrote "Mrs. Dalloway
said she would buy the flowers herself." He couldn't. Then I wrote on the
walls of my room in magic marker: "Pity, for the loss of roses." I walked
down 10th street in Greenwich Village looking up at the French windows,
wishing I could burst them open and take the plunge myself into the early
morning air (I had an 8:30 class). I was so disappointed to learn that
Clarissa wasn't me. But what a lark to read her as a girl of 18!

Catherine

--
Catherine W. Hollis, PhD
Instructor, Fall Program for Freshmen