[Vwoolf] Encountering Virginia Woolf

Kristin Czarnecki Kristin_Czarnecki at georgetowncollege.edu
Mon Aug 26 18:27:15 EDT 2013

OK, I'll jump in! Although my house was full of Virginia Woolf's works as I was growing up (many of my paperback copies are inscribed with my mother's or sister's name), I never read her until I was nearly one year out of college, living in Mannheim, Germany, for the year. I joined the library there and checked out To the Lighthouse one day, along with a stack of other things. In my tiny one-room "apartment," I read the entire book from start to finish in one sitting--mesmerized, intrigued, confused; I had never read anything like it before. When I finished, I turned it over and began again and was hooked from then on. As Diana says, thank you, Virginia.